Course Title: Plant Selection And Establishment BHT107
Plant Selection And Establishment BHT107
Become skilled at selecting and maintaining garden plantss. Develop a firm basis for the selection, establishment and maintenance of a range of commonly used garden plants.
Course Structure for Plant Selection And Establishment BHT107
- Introduction – What to plant where, Plant selection, Plant varieties, Colourful year round foliage, Establishment (timing, soil preparation, plant size, planting technique), Maintenance programs, etc
- Woody plants – Selecting woody plants, trees, shrubs, deciduous/semi deciduous/evergreen; flowering shrubs, Establishing woody plants, Planting procedure, Dealing with shade, etc
- Windbreaks, hedges and screens – Plant selection, establishing windbreaks & screens, Trimming a hedge, etc
- Alpine and water plants – Selecting & establishing alpines, Selecting water plants, Establishment & maintenance of water plants
- Annual and herbaceous plants – Selecting annuals, Types of annuals (by height, flower, edge plants, dot plants, groundwork plants), types of bedding schemes, Planting seed or seedlings, Container culture, Selection & Establishment of herbaceous plants (Bulbs & Perennials), Maximizing flowering effect, etc.
- Turf – Varieties, Lawn mixes, What to grow where, Wildflower Meadows, Turf establishment, Soil Preparation, Seeding, Sodding, Stolonizing, Sprigging, Plugging, Mowing, Fertilising, etc
- Maintenance – Fertilizing, Managing pH, Replacing plants, Pruning, Irrigation, Humidity, Mulch, Developing a maintenance Program,
- Pest and disease control – Problem prevention, Non chemical control, Chemical control
- Weed control – Non chemical control, Chemical control, Safety, Alternative strategies.
- Risk assessment – Identifying risk, Duty of care, Workplace safety, Protective clothing, Safety with tools, Significance of illness, etc
Aims of Plant Selection And Establishment BHT107
- Develop knowledge of the range of applications for and selection and establishment of horticultural plants.
- Develop knowledge in the establishment and maintenance of a range of woody plants, with different modes of growth, for different situations.
- Develop knowledge in selection, establishment, and maintenance of species suitable for hedges windbreaks and screens.
- Describe the cultivation of alpine and water plants.
- Describe the selection, cultivation, and maintenance of herbaceous plants.
- Develop knowledge in the selection, establishment and maintenance of turf and lawns.
- Develop knowledge in the maintenance and cultural requirements of herbaceous, woody, and other plants.
- Develop knowledge in the control of pests and diseases in horticultural situations.
- Develop knowledge in the management of weeds in horticultural situations.
- Develop skills in risk assessment.
Estimated Course Duration: 100 hours
Available Learning Methods: Online, USB (+£5) and Correspondence (+£35)
Enrolment Dates: Our courses are self-paced and you can start at anytime
Enrol today and get equipped to select the best plants and learn best practice in establishing them.