Course Title: Acacias VHT114
Learn about the identification and botany, and culture (planting, watering, feeding, propagation) of the wattles. Around 50 species are studied in detail. You also learn about the commercial uses of Acacias as building materials, food plants, for tanning, craft, etc.
Course Structure for Acacias VHT114
- There are 8 lessons:1 Introduction
- Review of the system of plant identification, information sources, etc.
2 Physiology of Acacias
- Flower structure
- Foliage types within the genus
- Flower types within the genus
- Acacia fruits
- Planting, staking, mulching, watering, feeding, pruning, etc
- Methods of propagating Acacias.
- Propagation of selected varieties
5 Acacias in the Garden
- Landscape uses
- Plant selection
- Acacias for different situations (Cold hardy, drought hardy, humid climates, summer flowering, autumn flowering, etc)
- The Design Process
6 Other Uses for Acacias
- Timber uses
- Cut Flowers
- Food Source
- Gum Arabic
7 Pest & Diseases
- Galls, Beetles, Weevils, etc
- Environmental problems: Frost, Shade, Temperature, Wind
8 Special Project
- Problem Based Learning project where you plan the establishment of a collection of different cultivars of Acacias suited to growing in a specified locality.
Aims of Acacias VHT114
- Describe the way in which Acacias are classified.
- Determine how to find reliable resource information that relates to Acacias
- Describe the physiology of Acacias
- Determine cultural requirements that are common to Acacias
- Determine propagation methods that are commonly applicable to Acacias.
- Describe a variety of commercial uses for Acacias.
- Describe a range of other practical uses for Acacias.
- Identify and recommend treatment for a variety of health problems occurring with Acacias.
- Develop an in depth understanding of one aspect of Acacia Growing.
Estimated Course Duration: 100 hours
Available Learning Methods: Online, USB (+£5) and Correspondence (+£35)
Enrolment Dates: Our courses are self-paced and you can start at anytime
Enrol today and learn all about acacias